On Being an Orthodontist
I cannot imagine an alternate career in which I would be so professionally fulfilled. When I began my orthodontic residency in 2001, I quickly realized I’d found a profession that I found fascinating. That feeling continues to this day. I love seeing the consistent positive change for patients between each appointment and I believe I transfer that enjoyment and enthusiasm to my patients who can sense that I like seeing them. I am honored by our friendly relationships and it brings me great joy to provide the best for them.
I have a diverse group of patients from a wide variety of backgrounds and I am always thrilled to meet new and interesting people. I do my best to connect with each person, as we work together toward the ideal result of a lasting, healthy, and beautiful smile.
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, North Carolina State University (1992)
- Doctorate of Dental Surgery, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (1998)
- Advanced Education in General Dentistry, US Navy Dental Corps (1999)
- Master of Science in Orthodontics, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (2004)
To maintain my dedication towards learning, throughout the year I attend local, state, and national continuing education courses, far exceeding the minimum requirements set by the state. I strongly believe in keeping up with the latest research and technological advancements, and not simply purchasing the latest technology that is being sold without research and review. I want to make sure I am providing the best of care to my patients, and that I am always up-to-date on the research and advances occurring in orthodontics.
- American Association of Orthodontists
- American Dental Association
- World Federation of Orthodontists
- Southern Association of Orthodontists
- North Carolina Association of Orthodontists
- North Carolina Dental Society
- Raleigh / Wake County Dental Society
Away from the Practice
I'm a happily married husband and Dad of 3 children who bring me great joy. Being with them, laughing together and spending quality time in each others’ company, is extremely important to me. That being said, I enjoy keeping active, as well. I’m an avid golfer and love how it’s a game of skill and mind, where I’m constantly challenging myself. I also play tennis, kayak, and hike. Around the house I can often be found gardening, cooking, or enjoying a movie with the family. When we get away to the beach, I love attempting to relive my youth on a surfboard. Growing up in Hawaii was full of excitment and challenges and I enjoy telling people about that unique upbringing.