On Being an Orthodontist
I continue to find my orthodontic career as fulfilling and fascinating as I did when I began residency at UNC-Chapel Hill in 2001, and I can not imagine another career in which I would be so professionally satisfied. I enjoy seeing patient’s consistent, positive changes from one appointment to the next and I believe that enjoyment and enthusiasm transfers to the my patients who can sense my love for the profession. Orthodontics is a true joy for me.
I have a diverse group of patients from a wide variety of backgrounds and I am always thrilled to meet new and interesting people. I do my best to connect with each patient, as we work together towards the ideal result of a lasting, healthy and beautiful smile.
My Education and Commitment to Continuing Education
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, North Carolina State University (1992)
- Doctorate of Dental Surgery, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (1998)
- Advanced Education in General Dentistry, US Navy Dental Corps (1999)
- Master of Science in Orthodontics, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (2004)
To maintain my dedication towards learning, throughout the year I attend local, state, and national continuing education courses, far exceeding the minimum requirements set by the state. I strongly believe in keeping up with the latest research and technological advancements, and not simply purchasing the latest technology that is being sold without research and review. I want to make sure I am providing the best of care to my patients, and that I am always up-to-date on the research and advances occurring in orthodontics.
- American Association of Orthodontists
- American Dental Association
- World Federation of Orthodontists
- Southern Association of Orthodontists
- North Carolina Association of Orthodontists
- North Carolina Dental Society
- Raleigh / Wake County Dental Society
Away from the Practice
I’m a happily married husband and Dad of 3 children who bring me great joy. Being with them, laughing at our family dinners together and spending quality time with those I love is extremely important to me. I also enjoy being active as an avid golfer and tennis player and you will occasionally hear tales of my hiking, kayaking and occasional Wanderlust. Around the house, I can be often found in my lawn and garden or cooking with my family. Having grown up in Hawaii, I love attempting to relive my youth on a surfboard at the coast of North Carolina. I’ve also recently enjoyed learning how to surf fish. One of these days, I might actually catch one.